17.8.13

PEEK


Realized that I haven't blogged in quite a while, so decided to take a peek while the laundry's spinning. I still have half a roll stuck in my Minolta from Tokyo (it always happens) and I'm wondering how to use it up in a good way.


Random things going on recently:

o Been on a shopping 'fast' for more than 2 months, except for basics like food and little everyday things that need replacing. I thought if I stop myself from buying things I would be able to think of nothing but buying things. Seems that I'm wrong. Seems that it's enough to love beautiful things without wanting to bring them home.

o My favourite cake shop is currently closed. Though I can do without shoes and clothes and bags, I feel sad when there's no more cheese souffle cake.

o Which leads to me thinking of baking things myself. HC and I are thinking of starting with scones (a favourite). We've been having home-cooked food a bit more too, which makes me happy.

o And on the topic of home-cooked food, please allow me to rave about my love for our local wet markets. The stall aunties and uncles are generally friendly and give you good advice depending on what you want to cook. Oh and where else can you buy a single stalk of leek?


Hope to have more photos to show you soon. Happy weekend!



9 comments:

  1. Welcome back :) Yes I hope the wet markets are here to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's strange but true, the less I buy, the less I think about buying. I'm trying to only buy necessities right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Jennifer, I'm not too sure I can keep it up so well if I'm in Japan and not Singapore. I always tell my Japanese friends that they have such a knack for making people yearn for the most useless things just because everything's so pretty!

      Delete
  3. hehehe. we've also been trying very, very, very hard to not bring new things home. but the keyword is try. been reading the Truck nest book and the concept of wabi sabi and all. our current motto is: use what we have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 'try' is the word, and maybe also 'avoid shopping malls'. I often wonder if it's more difficult for you, doing what you do (you know, your job). I've been reading about downshifting and such (though me not earn enough to qualify for 'downshifting, ha!). Come over for Pine Garden cake and coffee soon and we'll talk wabi sabi, it sounds like it's catching on in the west too.

      Delete
  4. buying can be a truly disturbing addiction... i have felt this myself - it's good to just buy the basics and learn to think twice before bringing something home!
    i have missed your posts,have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap I actually decided to try to stop buying things so much after I cleared the house one day and piling the stack of 'to-throw' or 'to-give' things in the middle of the living room, I realized how silly it is that we buy so much things without thinking or on the spur of the moment only to have to throw them away as clutter later, unused and unloved. Thanks for sharing, I love really your comments!

      Delete
  5. Your photos are always amazing Shirley! I'm sure that roll will be finished in no time.

    And I say YAY to home cooked meals (and cakes)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Camila, you won't believe, I'm still trying to finish it! But thanks for your lovely words!

      Delete